What are you going to do today to make a difference in someone's life?

Welcome - This is your call to action...

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Day 4 - ❦ Give when the time is right


Day 4

The Gift(s): 1 bag of wild rice to our out-going exchange student and a commemorative US quarters collectors book for an exchange student who is visiting for the summer.

Well, today is day four and the first weekend of this exercise. Now the challenge begins. I wake up knowing that I am wanting (needing) to give and haven’t got a clue about what or with whom I am going to interact. While I was at the grocery store, I remember Nina, our exchange student from Denmark,  talking about how much her mother enjoyed wild rice while she was here and I decided that was it - my giving opportunity - and bought some wild rice with recipes. As we are checking out, I ran into a close friend Janet who was buying a last minute item for a lunch she was preparing for Nina and our former exchange student who stayed with us several years ago who is visiting for the summer while working as an intern at the Hormel Institute - Sevy. She invited us over to her home to have lunch. Perfect - I can give Nina the rice! But wait, several months ago, I bought a commemorative coin book for Sevy because I knew she collected the newly minted United States quarters. We swung by the house, picked up the other gift and delivered both gifts to the girls that afternoon. It was fun and felt freeing to give Sevy something that has been sitting around in anticipation of seeing her.

I enjoy shopping with others in mind and giving when the time is right.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I love this idea! Go, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kathy,
    I am really enjoying your daily entries. As you know my quote attached to each of my emails is "My excess might be someone's neccessity," which I took away from a sermon. That was probably a year ago and I think of that quote often as I look at the clutter that surrounds me. So as I purge I always try to think of someone that I know or someone who may know others that may benefit from my excess. Giving gently used and useful items to others in need truly does make me feel good. Keep it up and I will too (although mine will not be on a daily bases :-))

    ReplyDelete