What are you going to do today to make a difference in someone's life?

Welcome - This is your call to action...

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Day 62 ❦ Give the gift of music


Day 62 Give the gift of music

The Gift: A set of bells, a snare drum and a drum practice pad

I am almost embarrassed to tell you that I had to receive a note from the Austin Music Boosters Club to realize that I had this gift just siting in my basement waiting to be given. But at the same time, I appreciate it when people ask for what they want, so I will put this gift in that category.

Fifth grade has always been a difficult time for me as a parent who really feels strongly about the value of music. In Austin, fifth grade is when kids get to explore instruments and can try out violins, cellos, horns of all kinds - it is so great, despite having to sit through painful concerts supporting all of those budding artists. But it is fifth grade when the class divide begins to reveal itself.

Children whose parents cannot possibly afford to rent an instrument, pay for private lessons, pay the school fees or purchase the music and required accessories drop out of music. Period. They disappear and begin that long silent march through a privileged and elitist school district which sets barriers to participating in almost anything with their fees, equipment charges and the requirement that children find their own transportation to and from practices and or home after practice; closing the door on so many children who begin to learn in fifth grade that they are different than those children whose parents can afford to support them.

I am especially sensitive to this because I was fortunate enough to have been raised in a school district that made it a point to ensure equal access for all, otherwise I would not have been able to participate in music and field hockey. My mother couldn’t afford to feed me, and as you have read in earlier posts, we were twice evicted from our homes, so there was no possibility of coming up with money to pay for fees for anything. But I was fortunate because my school didn’t charge anything, we didn’t have to prove we were poor to get “free and reduced options”(which as a child is pretty humiliating and you just stop asking), there was an after school activity bus and all of us were encouraged to participate in everything. I do credit those opportunities with saving my life - but that is for another day.

But in Austin, in fifth grade, the class divide begins. And it broke my heart each time our daughters went through the fifth grade trial time with their friends and had to watch while most of their friends quietly dropped out of music, despite a deep love of the violin, or cello...argh I can still see all of those children’s faces and it makes me so sad.

But this is a story of hope! Because today I got a letter from the Austin Music Boosters Association asking us if we have any musical instruments sitting around that they would accept as donations, fix up and GIVE to students who needed them. I was so excited to get this letter! I couldn’t pack up all of our instruments fast enough and took them right in. Of course! Why hadn’t I thought of that sooner? I did get some relief knowing that I could be part of something to open access to others of the gift of music. Perhaps you have an instrument that is lying around your house collecting dust...

Give the gift of music

No comments:

Post a Comment