What are you going to do today to make a difference in someone's life?

Welcome - This is your call to action...

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Day 97 ❦ Receive Today


Day 97 ❦ Receive Today

The Gift: Two pair of running shoes

As the days quickly come to a close, I was surprised to see how different  that today’s giving experience felt compared to the first week when I gave “stuff” to the Salvation Army. In fact, my entire attitude about giving has changed, something that I didn't think possible. I have always believed in giving and engaged in giving but now it feels like a mandate, an expectation, part of my dues for being a human. But one of the more important lessons I have learned is that it is equally important to receive. Giving does not accomplish anything if no one is there to receive your gift and the first part of the transaction (giving) can’t happen without the receiving. I had to learn to receive to be a better giver.

Now I don’t worry about getting rid of or dumping something that I didn't want, or my junk, or the “stuff” in my closets or attic - now when I give everyday I think about how someone might receive my gift, how they might appreciate my “stuff” how my junk could really be their treasure. By understanding and embracing receiving, I have become a much better giver.

When I looked back on Day 2 and read that I was nervous about how my stuff would be received, I didn't have a refined understanding of the concept of receiving. Artfully, receiving is about gratitude, accepting that someone has value to offer and acknowledging that value. And today I know that someone will receive the two pair of running shoes that I am donating to the Salvation Army with gratitude, acknowledging that I have value, that my gift was good enough.

In receiving, we acknowledge the value of the giver.

No comments:

Post a Comment