What are you going to do today to make a difference in someone's life?

Welcome - This is your call to action...

Monday, April 1, 2013

Day 77 ❦ Give and be detached to outcome


Day 77 ❦ Give and be detached to outcome

The Gift: A donation of travel

During this time of transition for me, I have been actively seeking meaningful employment. I have been underemployed since moving from Boulder to Austin and while it is often okay for me to reconcile that fact with making a difference in my community as a “paid volunteer” I feel under-utilized. Much of my passion and energy is not being tapped in part because the organization for which I am working is not prepared, but there is also not an infrastructure to support my vision - so I bump up my less than meaningful work with my extensive volunteer work. It would be a dream of mine to find meaningful employment that used every part of my energy, passion, and knowledge and actually paid me a professional wage...ahhh...

While conducting my regular job search I found just such a job. It would be perfect not only for me, but I am perfect for them. The position would coordinate and organize volunteer medical service trips to developing countries - and the best part is that this job is a professional job within a health food manufacturer - so it really ties in many of my core values, philosophies and experience. Perfect!

I made it through the process and get an in-person interview. They flew me out to Boulder for several days of interviews and “get-to-know-you” receptions, meetings and meals. It was perfect, I have so many friends in Boulder and I was able to enjoy a few days with friends and a few days really grooving on the job. I can see myself in it, and I am getting pretty excited. It has been a long time since I have felt like I fit anywhere professionally.

I have to turn in my receipts for reimbursement for the interview expenses and make a decision to put my money where my mouth is and donate most of the travel expenses. I do this realizing that I might not get the job, but realize that I really like what they are doing and would like to be part of something important - that’s all, and if it can or can’t be as the Coordinator of this program, I can be part of in this small way. This feels really good and I am glad that this giving opportunity happened today.

Give Detached to Outcome

Editors note: I did not get the job (second again...), but still smile as I think about making this donation, it is still the right thing to do for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment