What are you going to do today to make a difference in someone's life?

Welcome - This is your call to action...

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Day 83 ❦ Give Simply, Simply Give


Day 83 ❦ Give Simply, Simply Give

The Gift: Salt Water Taffy

I am still reeling from the rejection yesterday. I have to remind myself every moment to breathe and be present, but at least I didn’t have to fight myself to get out of bed this morning. But I am going to go easy on myself today. My heart is devastated and I am questioning everything about myself, but I am going to get through this, and today I am going to give. Something. Anything.

Over the course of the 100 Days of Giving exercise I have accumulated items that I have either picked up or were given that are items that would be better if gifted to someone else so I get a very pretty box with a pretty top and have set up a “gift box” for just such an occasion as today. It is actually kind of fun to go to the box, which I haven’t looked through for a few weeks, to see if there is something in there which could be a simple give. Right on top is a deliciously tempting box of salt water taffy...yummmm...one of my childhood favorites!  I loved going to the beach on the East Coast and after a long hot sunny day eating my fill of salt water taffy, I especially loved the licorice taffy and could eat buckets full of it!!!

But as a result of that kind of indulgence, I have had a number of cavities and fillings in my teeth and at this moment, am missing a filling from the day I bought this salt water taffy and took my first luscious bite. I knew something was wrong when I got a crunch in the taffy and realized that part of my filling had been mixed into the taffy...arghhh. Right into the gift box because I couldn’t throw it away, and was unwilling to risk losing another filling - but knew that a time would come soon when I would find the right person to give this to....hmmmm, I have the gift now what is the opportunity?

Finding someone to give the taffy to would mean having to leave the house, and usually when I am in this kind of funk, I can avoid people since most of the work I do is from my home office...hmmm looks like I am going on a field trip, which also means I have to get dressed...argh again. Okay, I can do this. I have a gift, I am dressed and ready to leave the house...where am I going? I need to go to the Post Office and I usually run into people I know there, so away I go, no luck. Then I remember that there is a meeting taking place at the library that I could (should) be participating in, so off to the library. Indeed, the meeting is still occurring, the people at the meeting haven’t had morning treats yet and so I stop in, say hello and deliver morning treats. Giving opportunity done. Whew.

I realize that it was probably a good thing that I had to get dressed, leave my house and interact with people - but even more importantly, I was forced to think about someone other than myself and the funk is lifting. I remain with a broken heart, but some of the pressure has lifted by the simple action of giving. A simple gift, simply given...simply giving.

Simply giving...


No comments:

Post a Comment