What are you going to do today to make a difference in someone's life?

Welcome - This is your call to action...

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Day 84 ❦ Support Someone you Believe in


Day 84 ❦ Support Someone you Believe in

The Gift: A Political Contribution

We are in the midst of a crazy election period, although because I do not watch either television commercials nor the news on television, I am pretty insulated from the worst of it. Not only do I dislike the divisiveness of the elections - I really dislike it when the ads, or candidates are outright lying. It drives me crazy, so I have to work pretty hard during this time to tune it all out - I will base my votes on actually talking to the candidates and deciding for myself how I think they responded to my questions...candidates be warned - if you knock on my door, I will invite you in and we WILL talk. I believe my vote is important as is supporting the candidates I believe in.

This election year has really been focused on throwing around promises and allegations about issues over which the candidates have no purview, for example - the School Board can’t do anything about lice, the County Commissioners can’t do anything about Federal immigration issues and the Mayor can’t deal with privacy issues in the school and it makes me crazy when I hear them making promises about just such topics, although I know such promises will get them votes, regardless of the veracity behind them. So when I do find a candidate who has common sense and is really talking about the issues over which they do have some control, I will do anything to back them. I do not have a lot of money but I have one of the best yards in town on which to put signs and I can stuff envelopes. I can’t knock on doors because I am so involved in the community, it can get confusing to figure out on whose behalf I am visiting, so I draw the line as door knocking. Anything else - I am there.

Today I am going to a coffee for a candidate for Mayor whose opponent is slamming her on her immigration stance - she does not have one, nor should he - the Mayor does not have any control over Federal issues and in this town, the Mayor does not even have a vote on the City Council, unless there is a tie - it is called a “weak-Mayor” system. But saying that he is “going to drive all of the immigrants out of town” should scare all of us - except the Native Americans...but actually, since I know he can’t drive me out of town because my family was not born here I am not worried about that - what I am worried about is that it looks like people believe him. His lies have a lot of traction and I am worried about that. So today, I put my money where my mouth and beliefs are and made a political donation.

Support Someone in Whom You Believe

No comments:

Post a Comment