What are you going to do today to make a difference in someone's life?

Welcome - This is your call to action...

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day 32 ❦ Simple acts can help the environment too.


Day 32

The Gift: Milk Caps

I have already mentioned that I am a saver. In addition to saving everything, I also save trash from its final destination. So, the drawer by the kitchen sink is filled with Campbell Soup labels and milk tops that have been collecting for years. Today, as I try to fill the void that is huge in the house that our exchange student just left I am trying to find something to clean. I turn to vacuuming first and cleaning drawers and closets next when I need to be in control of something. Vacuuming works the best because I can always see that I have accomplished something as the vacuum works the room.

However, today, my floors are spotless - apparently I have needed to control something for several days and have vacuumed everything in sight. So, cleaning the closets are the next best thing - but as I go from one closet to the next, I realize that they are going to take more emotional energy than I have today, so I am going to focus my efforts on the smallest drawer in the kitchen...which I can’t open it is so jammed with “stuff.” Once I jimmy the drawer open, pour out the contents and sort the junk into themes - obvious throw-a-ways, interesting stuff to go back in the drawer, birthday candles and pens I am left with hundreds of milk tops and Campbell Soup labels. The perfect gifts! I will have to wait until school starts to give the Campbell Soup labels but there are easily twenty dollars in five cent milk tops. I bag them up and take them straight away to a local preschool which can turn them in for playground equipment and other educational items. There was no one around to receive the gift, and so I leave the bag on the Director’s desk. Giving anonymously is not prohibited. I find myself leaving thrilled that I was able to gift my trash knowing that it will keep on giving once the caps are turned in for items and also reduce the burden on the landfill. Wow, a double-bonus.

Simple acts and simple gifts can help the environment too.

No comments:

Post a Comment