What are you going to do today to make a difference in someone's life?

Welcome - This is your call to action...

Friday, October 5, 2012

Day 34 - ❦ Freedom of opinion is a gift to be honored

Day 34

The Gift: A political button

I am always surprised at how our kids can both reflect who we are and who we are not all at the same time. My friends from college are in Minnesota visiting me and they are staying with me my family - we are all having a great time. One of the great delights that I have had during their stay is watching as their personalities and quirks show up in their two children, and I suppose, they may be observing the same thing about me and my family. My friend Cheryl is an attorney. She is brilliant and could have gone into any law practice she wanted; and she did. She works for the Public Defenders Office for the City of Baltimore. Pretty hard core work, but she believes in social justice to the core of her being. Maybe that’s why we have been good friends for so many years. Her oldest daughter, Julia, is eleven years old and is tall and lanky, really good at sports and very smart. Already she is politically engaged and will take on any political debate that comes her way and will hold her own. It has been really great having another feisty young person in our home for an additional spark to the spirited debates that happen around here.

We have always considered ourselves extremely tolerant of others who have differing opinions than we do, and in fact, we often hold differing opinions within our own household. Accepting others’ opinions, or providing a platform for a wide range of opinions does not mean that we feel a need to “convert” others to see our side of things. We simply want to provide a platform for ideas, opinions and dreams to percolate and land where they do for our selves and our kids to try on until they find something that resonates within themselves. And as a result, dinner and party conversations are often lively, exciting and offer plenty for all of to think about...really a lot of fun. Sometimes the discussion gets tense and we have to agree to disagree, but I would have to say that I have always learned something from every conversation that has ever taken place in our home. That in and of itself is a huge gift that we receive from those who are open and honest with their thoughts, ideas, opinions and dreams. In short, we cultivate and value developing and sharing opinions. That value is not always popular within systems that work to maintain the “status quo” and so I am sure you can imagine that my husband and myself are frequently called into parent-teacher conferences because our girls are arguing, sharing their opinions or dissenting with authorities. As long as it is respectful, we shrug in sympathy with the teacher and let them know that we value spirited discussion in our home.

While my friends are visiting with their girls the nights are long with discussion. Even though we are pretty like-minded, we all have differing views on the root causes of problems and thus the systemic solutions. Our children engage in these and other political discussions and offer fresh perspectives - the discussions are rich and lively! After one such discussion the girls take off for a walk. I notice that Julia has a messenger bag that is covered with buttons; some say things I can’t repeat and others are throw-backs to the nineteen sixties and seventies. My gifting opportunity has just presented itself.

Minnesota is a hotbed for political activity and our exchange student went to hear John Kerry speak in Rochester, Minnesota when he was here recently. She picked up an extra button for me which I retrieved from my bulletin board and slipped onto Julia’s messenger bag. It was perfect. She is a Kerry supporter and was proud to have her political opinions recognized and valued by the gift.

     ❦ Freedom of opinion is a gift to be honored

Freedom of expression vandalized again!
Author's Note: The sadness that hits me as I read this post is indescribable...for the second time during this current political year the political signs that I have proudly displayed in my yard have been vandalized and stolen. The violation of my freedom to have an opinion is really hurtful and is impacting me to my core. Although they are "just signs" they represent something that I believe in...a basic right which belongs to all in this country...the freedom of speech - no matter whether or not you agree with the particular opinion...we have a freedom to express our opinions...or at least had one.

No comments:

Post a Comment