What are you going to do today to make a difference in someone's life?

Welcome - This is your call to action...

Monday, September 10, 2012

Day 13 ❦ Be childlike in your giving


Day 13

The Gift: Filled gumball machines with quarters at K-Mart

Yesterday, I told the first person (besides my husband) about my giving exercise and got an interesting response. I have been uncomfortable about telling anyone, because I don’t want them to question my giving, wondering if I am giving to them simply to fill my daily quota. I am also uncomfortable with telling anyone, because it has been my personal experience that once I have shared my idea with someone, it dilutes the idea and I lose a little of the driving energy. So it was with some trepidation that I shared with this person what I was doing. One of the things that I told her was that I had noticed that people were giving to me in greater proportion than before I began this exercise. No less than ten minutes later a complete stranger walked right up to us and handed me a pin and said that she wanted me to have this gift. Words cannot describe the surprise of my friend who stood speechless with her jaw on the ground as this unknown woman walked away. She turned to me and said, “So I guess this is part of the giving thing you were describing.” It was hysterical.

I spent most of the rest of the day writing about all of the giving and receiving experiences I had had and the day slipped by. It was eight o’clock in the evening on a holiday Monday before I realized that I had not yet discovered a giving opportunity and went out in search of one. As I pulled into the K-Mart parking lot I realized that I really wanted to do something kind of goofy, kind of silly, but still wasn't sure what would develop. I went into the store to get a few things and as I was at the checkout I asked for three dollars in quarters. An idea formed. As I left the store, I filled the row of gumball machines with quarters - just waiting for the next little child to come along and wistfully turn the knob wishing that they had twenty-five cents to out in the machine. I giggled all the way to my car. Now, for all you parents out there who do not want your children to be recipients of this type of gift - I have to tell you that I am also a parent who would be suspect of my child excitedly running up to me with this type of gift in their hands. Tough. I needed to be silly and was.

Be childlike in your giving

1 comment: