What are you going to do today to make a difference in someone's life?

Welcome - This is your call to action...

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Day 6 ❦ Everyday occurrences may be a gift


Day 6

The Gift: A twenty ounce, four shot latte.

Several months earlier, I had returned home from my second trip to Africa and I look forward to all opportunities to talk to people who have either been there or are from the continent. I am really intrigued by the different cultures and plagued by many questions about some of the common features I have noticed that seem to transect the individual countries I have visited. While shopping at a local office supply store several days ago I noticed that the clerk had a distinctive accent. I remarked that his accent sounded like he was not originally from Austin and was interested in where he was from and he replied, “I belong to Kenya”. I explained to him that I had recently visited Ghana, Togo, and Benin and we struck up a conversation that spilled over to another meeting.

We met at a coffee shop and I bought a latte for him and we had a long conversation about our observed differences in the coffee between here and Africa. I think he liked the coffee and we enjoyed a lively and rich conversation. It was the best deal for entertainment I've had in a long time and I was so appreciative that he let me buy the coffee - while I was in Africa it was almost impossible for me to buy anything for myself, people were so giving, it was nice to share that experience on this side of the world.

Everyday occurrences may be a gift if treated as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment