What are you going to do today to make a difference in someone's life?

Welcome - This is your call to action...

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 21 ❦ Giving presents many surprises.


Day 21

The Gift: A new to you bike

I have struggled with using this gift to count toward my daily giving opportunity, and the factor that weighed in most heavily was the pure pleasure and appreciation of the recipient when this gift was presented. So, an old bike that I refurbished to “new to you” condition for my youngest daughter counts and I learned a valuable lesson in this experience.

Shannon and I went for a bike ride this morning. I was riding my racing bike that I bought many years ago, but is still in excellent condition. Shannon was riding the bike that my husband and I gave to her for her eighth birthday just last year. She was having trouble keeping up with me. One time I looked back and she was stopped by the roadside, off her bike. I circled back around and saw that the chain had fallen off. We fooled around with it and finally got it back in place, only to have it fall off again. Unfortunately we were several miles away from home and had to figure out a plan. With very few options we opted for the ride and fix plan which took forever for us to get back home. While she was riding in front of me, I also noticed that she had probably grown a foot and a half since we gave her that bike just last year. Something had to be done - now, however, since my hours at work have been scaled back - purchasing a new bike was not going to be an option today. I noticed that I was sinking into my darkness again. Scarcity encompassed me and I started telling myself what a terrible mother I was that I couldn’t even get my daughter a new bike. ARGHHHH.

We made it home and I was really stressed and pretty bummed. Shannon quietly went into her room and we didn't talk for a long time. I have been at this giving exercise long enough now that I can recognize when I am dropping into my dark place and in recognizing it - can make a move to intervene. I had to move, breathe, do something that is constructive. If I can’t get her a new bike, what if I try to get her big sister’s bike in riding shape for the short term. So we set up shop. Shannon washed the bike and scrubbed the spokes while I cleaned and oiled the chain, tightened and adjusted the brakes and gears, and then we polished it and put air in the tires.....and....viola....a new bike. And to add to the specialness of the bike, it was Alison’s (which apparently is really cool for Shannon). We went out and bought a bike lock, since this bike was so nice it might get stolen, and Shannon was in the bike riding business.

She rides that bike everywhere and I smile every time I see her on it. Perhaps the gift was the “new to you” bike, perhaps it was the time we spent together fixing it up, perhaps it was the responsiveness and support Shannon got with her old bike struggles. The gift for me was in the giving - the act of moving out of my darkness to give was an incredible gift for me.

Giving presents many surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment